Job Title: Skills Coach
Salary: Up to £29,000 per annum
Based: Manchester / Home based
Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract until September 2022
The Growth Company – Business Growth Hub are looking to recruit a Skills Coach to deliver high quality workforce development assessments, manage employer relationships, broker recruitment and training for a portfolio of business owners/senior managers of companies looking to achieve growth. The role will assess the scope for companies to provide wider training and development opportunities including apprenticeships for the workforce to improve productivity.
Work with the wider GM FE/HE and provider base to ensure GM residents are well placed to access training opportunities. This will include: engaging SMEs through self-generation, dealing with referrals from across GC, Local Authorities and other key partners and stakeholders, handling enquiries, undertaking training needs analysis, completing a productivity plan for the business and linking this to the creation of individual skills plans for employees, brokering training solutions, maintaining relationships with the business to ensure that growth ambitions are realised, individual development outcomes are achieved and impact recorded. To be fully proficient with all the financial support in the form of grants available to employers engaging with apprenticeships across the ten local authorities in GM.
- Establish and maintain effective relations with business owners/leaders and internal and external key contacts to promote workforce development and generate high quality referrals
- Work with colleagues across the Group to cross refer and maximise opportunities for linked services such as Access to Finance, Export, Innovation
- Establish referral networks into the programme from public and private sector bodies and networks including banks, accountants, solicitors, trade associations, Local Authorities and other providers of business support
- Making sure clients are personally introduced to those services identified as appropriate (internal and external) and monitor the delivery of these services to support the client’s strategy, ensure apprenticeship opportunities are taken up, and business impact is captured
- Ensure client enquiries and partner referrals are correctly recorded on GC’s CRM and associated service-specific data capturing systems, updating progress against agreed actions as plans progress. Ensure all administration is completed in timely manner against deadlines and is checked for accuracy
- Use understanding of the portfolio of apprenticeships and wider training opportunities available to ensure that employers are fully aware and can make informed decisions for employees
- Proactively in collaboration with marketing team carry out sales activity including cold calling, tele sales and structured e-marketing and digital campaigns to employers
- Develop and maintain excellent account management relationships with customers that result in the take up of services, repeat business
- Attend networking events (which at times will involve working outside of standard business hours)
- Undertake detailed diagnostics on a business, or a detailed diagnostic on the organisational/training needs for the business area, using various tools and methods to capture baseline data and identify needs
- Develop, and work with internal teams and external providers to implement, comprehensive growth/productivity plans which deliver a step change in the take up of training/development/apprenticeships
- Continually update professional knowledge on GM Apprenticeship / Skills and Employment Strategies and central government policy, strategy and funding changes, including the Apprenticeship Levy. Develop relationships with a diverse range of Apprenticeship providers and other recruitment and training providers in GM, both commercial and publicly funded.
- Undertake detailed discussions with the client to understand their business issues, making sound recommendations for appropriate actions that will lead to growth/improved productivity
- Sound knowledge of the work-based learning routes including wider training opportunities, apprenticeship frameworks, standards and their processes
- Sound knowledge of business support services across Greater Manchester
- Sound knowledge of funded training opportunities such as ESFA, ERDF, ESF and others
- Team player, but also a self-starter
- Ability to identify opportunities and to be innovative
- Ability to understand, demonstrate and apply GC values: Make a positive difference, stronger together, empower people, do the right thing, build on success
- Proven business/workforce development diagnostic skills
- Experience of working in a target/results driven environment
- Proven negotiation/presentation and account management skills with business of all sizes
- In-depth understanding of the skills arena including funded/non funded provision, the Apprenticeship Levy and national and local priorities / policy / funding in relation to Apprenticeships and wider training and development
- Excellent communication and networking skills At least degree level business education, or degree level qualification with a Management body or a minimum of 5 years sales, business support or employer engagement experience (candidates with less than this number of years’ experience, who can demonstrate the necessary skills, will be considered).
- Proven track record of developing workforce development programmes bespoke to employer need
- Producing business proposals which are attractive and meet business need
GC has now committed to ‘Ban the Box’. Ban the Box is a campaign to increase opportunities for people with convictions to compete for jobs. We’re supporting the campaign by removing conviction questions at the applications stage
Please refer to the attached Role Profile for a full job description and the skills and qualifications needed.
To apply for this vacancy please click the Apply button below. As part of our application process you will be asked to register with our Careers site, a one off process which will give you access to some great features such as application tracking, interview slot self selection and vacancy e-mail alerts. Once registered you will then have the option of applying via your LinkedIn profile, uploading your CV or completing our online application form. If you're already registered with us you will be asked to login before continuing with your application.
Please note that all correspondence regarding your application will be sent by e-mail so we advise that you check your inbox and Spam folder regularly.
The Growth Company particularly encourages applications from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic candidates as they are currently under-represented within the organisation.
The Growth Company aims to promote a culture of flexibility and agile working. Pre-covid, part of our recruitment strategy was to discuss any suggestions from candidates as to how the responsibilities of any of our roles could be met through a flexible approach to hours and or location. Now we are following the government’s advice for all our staff to work from home where possible. Going forward we will be transitioning to a culture where full agile working will be a feature of many of our roles.
Should you apply for any of our roles, we will be following a virtual recruitment process with online interviews, as well as online assessments (where required). This will be explained to you further, should you reach interview stage. Face to face interviews will only take place where absolutely necessary. At all times we follow government guidelines in relation to Covid-19 in order to safeguard our employees or anyone visiting our sites. Should a face to face meeting be required, we will be more than happy to explain the measures we have put in place, ahead of you attending any of our premises.
Reasonable adjustments for interviews, whether virtual or face to face, will be considered.